New Starbucks Ditches Tables & Chairs For Compact Makeover
Starbucks will be opening a slew of stores around the country that are strictly drive-thru and walk-up only, in an eco-friendly experiment.
For these new stores, the traditional sit-down area will be completely out of the picture.
The first store has already opened in Denver, Co. and while Starbucks said that every one of the new stores will have a different look, the Denver one is a compact 500 square feet, made with local materials, certified by Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design and has just enough space to fit three to five people plus work equipment.
The new Denver store was constructed with wood from old Wyoming snow fencing and is designed to let light through the walk-up window, giving it a “lantern effect” in the morning.
One of the crazier things about this building is that it was constructed in a factory and delivered by a truck!
It’s pretty fancy looking, but the ordering concept is also recycled from several old-school restaurants including, most notably, In-N-Out.
Starbucks has been riding the “going green” train for a while, though. Its Starbucks Shared Planet plan has pushed out LEED certified stores, meaning they’re making an environmentally friendly attempt, and among other things, have stated that it grows its coffee responsibly and ethically.
The idea for these new stores sparked in 2008 and have finally been unleashed.
Starbucks plans to replace several of its current stores with these newly designed ones.
Is this the future, or will people prefer their soft jazz, dim lights and Wi-Fi filled restaurants?
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor