Sriracha-Lime & Korean BBQ Beef Jerky Are Not Your Average Gas Station Fare
This is not your average gas station, so-so beef jerky. It’s the real deal crafted by Angeleno Matt Lauster of Dried and True — an “artisan” jerky company of sorts.
After swooping up a commercial dehydrator, Lauster began making his own homemade jerky — finding a local meat supplier to provide him with up to eight pounds of roast. He then would undergo the process of cutting the fat and gristle off the meat, slicing it into thin pieces, and finally marinating each slice in his custom sauces.
Thus, Sriracha-lime, Balsamic Vinegar, Garlic Habanero and Korean BBQ jerky flavors were born (with the Sriracha being homemade as well, of course). Other, more subdued flavors like original and peppered were also created and Lauster is still crafting new concontions, like the lemon pepper marinade that is currently in its early developmental stages.
“I’m already doing jerky in a different way that’s kind of unique, but I think the flavors as well are a big contributor in the attention it has received,” Lauster told LA Weekly. “They’re not flavors that you’re used to hearing. They have some flair and a little more personality.”
Although, while Dried and True’s jerky gets kudos for being void of nitrates and MSG, this means it has a much shorter shelf life than its mass-market competition. This makes it difficult for Lauster to sell his product to big-name retailers like Bristol Farms and Whole Foods. Luckily, the Sriracha-lime flavored jerky seems to be on a good path; it sold out at its debut at the Abbot-Kinney Festival and seems to be popular with those of us tired of stale, ho-hum jerky.
H/T LA Weekly
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor