Here’s How to Make Truffula Tree Cupcakes for Dr. Seuss’ 109th Birthday
In celebration on of Dr. Seuss’ 109th birthday anniversary today, March 2, blogger-baker Courtney Whitmore created a whimsical recipe inspired by the 1971 children’s story, “The Lorax.”
Just like the kaleidoscopic illustrations found within the timeless book, these “Truffula Tree Cupcakes” combine a sense of nostalgia and playful wonder. The recipe calls for cotton candy leaves and a generous helping of frosted grass — genius.
Truffula Tree Cupcakes
by Courtney Whitmore
Makes 24 Mini Cupcakes
What You’ll Need:
- 1 box Betty Crocker White Cake mix
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 10 drops green food coloring
- 1 package pretzel stick rods
- 1 package Fruit Roll-Ups
- Colored cotton candy
What You’ll Do:
- Bake white cupcakes in mini-muffin pan according to package instructions.
- Beat butter for 1 minute and add powdered sugar in 1 cup intervals, beating thoroughly between each addition, until creamy. Add in vanilla and cream. Beat well for 2 minutes. Add in green food coloring until frosting is grass green.
- Use a fluted pastry tip to pipe grass on top of cooled mini cupcakes.
- Wrap Fruit Roll-Ups pieces around pretzel sticks. Place tufts of cotton candy on top of pretzel sticks using a bit of extra frosting to help stick the two together.
- Stick the pretzel rod carefully into the center of the grass green cupcake. Enjoy!
H/T A Bullseye View
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor