Horse Meat Has Now Infiltrated Your Ikea Meatballs
If your favorite part about IKEA doesn’t involve pretending you’re Tom and Summer whilst making out on display beds (sigh), but the food court featuring all sorts of “Swedish” delights, then you should probably stop reading this.
Yes, horse meat, everyone’s favorite protein to hate, has finally infiltrated Ikea’s famed Swedish meatballs. This morning (Monday, February 5th) the furniture giant issued a statement on their site confirming that a batch of frozen meatballs sent to over a dozen European countries were recalled after traces of horse meat were detected.
Authorities in the Czech Republic said that horse DNA was detected in 2.2-pound packs of frozen meatballs labeled as beef and pork, Ikea’s Kottbullar dish. Ikea made efforts to assure loyal customers that meatballs made from the same batch would be pulled off the shelves — expanding their withdrawals to stores in Slovakia, Belgium, Britain, Portugal, Hungary, Cyprus, the Netherlands, Ireland, Spain, Greece, Italy and France.
Ikea spokeswoman Ylva Magnusson told the Associated Press that shipments to the U.S. and other countries haven’t been affected. In the meantime, the company’s Swedish branch announced via their Facebook page that it won’t be selling or serving any meatballs at locations in Sweden in order to put any “potential worries among our customers” at ease.
Looks like not even your friendly neighborhood furniture store is safe from horse meat.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor