Here’s How to Make Honey-Peppercorn Duck with Steamed Baby Pak Choi
Honey is one of those magical foods that manages to improve pretty much any dish it’s used in, while at the same time being just as delicious on its own. That’s why we were excited to read that Bee Raw Honey had come up with a recipe for a duck dish that conjures up all sorts of sweet and savory associations. Just do your best not to eat all of the honey straight out of the jar while you’re waiting for it to cook, serve with your best beeswax candles for that added ambiance and enjoy!
Honey-Peppercorn Duck with Steamed Baby Pak Choi
- 2 6- to 7-ounce boneless duck breasts with skin
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped sweet gherkin pickles
- 1 cup chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Bee Raw Blueberry Honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pink peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons drained green peppercorns in brine
- 12 baby pak choi (steamed just before serving duck)
- Heat heavy large skillet over high heat.
- Cook duck, skin side down, until skin is dark brown and fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Turn duck over and cook to desired doneness, about 6 minutes for medium-rare.
- Transfer to platter. Tent with foil to keep warm. Pour off drippings from skillet.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and gherkins and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add stock and honey and boil until syrupy, about 5 minutes. Stir in all peppercorns and simmer 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter and whisk until sauce is smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice duck crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices.
- Fan duck slices over steamed pak choi.
- Spoon peppercorn sauce over and serve.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor