Coca-Cola TV Ad Does Everything to Fight Obesity, Except Stop Coca-Cola Sales
This week, Coca-Cola launched a television ad campaign attempting to raise awareness on obesity, one of the nation’s most pressing health issues. Needless to say, it’s a bold move for a company infamous for selling soda — a beverage that’s gotten a lot of heat over the years for being a major cause of obesity.
The ad itself plays out like a friendly Apple commercial. Carefree images of smiling families sipping on Coca-Cola and kids skipping rope flash on the screen, while an earnest voice-over rallies “people to come together on something that concerns all of us — obesity.” The narration then smoothly slips into highlighting the steps Coca-Cola has taken to prevent obesity, from its low-calorie drinks to its charity work promoting a healthy lifestyle. By the end of it, the “Coming Together” Coke TV ad sounds more like a promo for the company than a campaign against obesity.
Of course, we’re not surprised, more tickled by the bubbly irony than anything.
NYT reports that while this initial ad targets policy makers, a second ad focusing in on consumers will be aired on Wednesday, January 6th during the new season of “American Idol.” Of course, the ads were criticized before they officially aired, this being the first time Coke attempted to redirect harsh criticism for their sugar-packed drinks.
The move by Coke to “redefine” themselves in the public eye is no doubt an attempt to curb declining soda sales as more people reach for water, juice and healthier alternatives instead. We see you, Coca-Cola.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor