The Year’s Top 7 Food Homages to Gangnam Style
What does PSY’s viral K-pop hit, Gangnam Style (now at 1 billion views), have to do with food? Absolutely nothing, we’ll admit. In fact, there’s no strong link between food and this sophisticated-looking Korean man in sunglasses gyrating his hips with wild abandon to upbeat music. Both provide nourishment — ahem, in different ways, of course — but that’s about it.
Despite the lack of a direct connection, that hasn’t stopped the food world from jumping on the phenomenon and making Gangnam Style every little bit as relevant. From restaurant parodies of the now-famous dance to the creative likenesses of the pop star’s face in latte foam, there’s no end to the obsession.
Below, our 7 favorite food homages to Gangnam Style.
1. Gangnam Style-inspired Starbucks Coffee Art
Brilliant way to outwardly show your devotion to caffeine and PSY.
2. Gangnam Style-inspired Cappucino
Good morning, sexy lady! What else could you want in a cappuccino, seriously?
3. In-N-Out-inspired Gangnam Style parody
More horse-inspired dancing — related to burgers this time.
4. Farmer Style: What does it sound like?
Ah, straight from the growers of our precious food. From the farmers who brought us “I’m Farming & I Grow It,” comes THIS video.
5. Gangnam Style Food Cart In NYC
Yeah, it’s a PSY-themed bulgogi, bbq chicken and pork cart — originally discovered by Midtown Lunch. Eat your heart out, guys. THIS IS AMAZING.
6. Whole Foods Employees Do it Flash-Mob Style
The store, located in downtown Austin, basically broke out in PSY’s famous dance on a whim. Watch ‘em in the bakery section!
7. Gangnam Style McDonald’s Fries
Oh yeah, we’d supersize these. This image of Gangnam Style fries is probably fake and photoshopped — but wouldn’t it be great if it were real? The bag features instructions on how to incorporate PSY’s horse dance into your consumption of fried potatoes.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor