It’s Official, Last Shipment of Twinkies Sold at Chicago Supermarket
You might have thought it was over before, but now it is official. The final batch of Twinkies and Hostess snacks were sold Tuesday.
To no surprise, it was a madhouse in Chicago Jewel-Osco Supermarkets, and things got ugly enough to have police called in.
When word came that Hostess had a last shipment available, Jewel-Osco jumped on it and received over 20,000 boxes of Hostess products to distribute throughout its stores. The stores stocked its shelves, opened up at 6 a.m. Tuesday, and were wiped out a couple hours later.
As far as the police being called to a store, a customer at a Buffalo Grove Jewel market flipped out when he was told he could only buy 10 boxes. The supermarket had apparently set a 10-box limit and the outraged customer was eventually convinced by the Buffalo Grove police officers that he’d have to comply.
The snacks were sold at the retail price, so although they may not have been selling at Black Friday prices, a Jewel-Osco spokesperson compared the scene at the stores to Black Friday.
So it is officially official. No more Twinkies, but here’s hoping for Black Friday-like footage surfacing online.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor