Eat These S’mores Stuffed with Moonshine Marshmallows
Blue Bottle Coffee is doing everything right.
World’s best coffee? Check. Exclusively hipster locations, like the San Francisco Ferry Building and Williamsburg, Brooklyn? Check.
Moonshine marshmallows? Check. Times infinity.
While the aforementioned marshmallows are apparently exclusive to the East Coast branches of Blue Bottle (we here in the Bay Area use more local Lillet–Napa Valley, represent), baker Caitlin Freeman, whose husband, James, founded Blue Bottle Coffee back in 2002, offers a recipe and mouthwatering origin story for the Brooklyn-based treats in an interview with Food52.
Spurred on by Charlotte Druckman for an article she was writing for the New York Times T Magazine, Sarah [Cox] and I set to work on making the s’mores happen for our opening day in Brooklyn. We substituted the moonshine for the Lillet in the original marshmallows, and set to work on the other s’more components. Once assembled, Charlotte (beside herself with enthusiasm), declared that they should be called the Brooklyn Bootleg S’mores. And so it was.
Freeman’s recipe seems straightforward enough, at east for anyone who’s ever made marshmallows before. Powdered sugar, cornstarch, gelatin, other normal, marshmallow-y ingredients. And then a whopping three tablespoons of magic in the form of moonshine.
The most difficult part of this recipe is not consuming your work before the final product has made an appearance.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor