Angry Birds Does Soda… Almost Better than Pepsi and Coke
Remember when Angry Birds first appeared on the scene?
No. Of course you don’t. The video game franchise, developed by Finnish game developer, Rovio, swept the world so quickly and completely that it instantly became one of those timeless things, like Facebook, YouTube, and iPhones. You don’t remember the world before those things either, do you?
Anyway. Like all of the above, Angry Birds has now permeated so deep into every aspect of our culture ever (spoiler alert: mild hyperbole), that it has spawned not only countless parodies, spin-offs and sitcom references, but toys, advertisements, and movie deals as well. Angry Birds pretty much has its own Rule 34 caveat — if it exists, there is an Angry Birds version of it. No exceptions. So are we really surprised to see that, at least for a little while, the fruity Finnish Angry Birds soda was (sort of — see HuffPo’s update) outselling Pepsi and Coke in its home country?
And the soda (next slated to hit stores in New Zealand and Australia) isn’t the only foray into foodstuffs Angry Birds has made. Rovio is also dipping their toes into Chinese McDonald’s chains, resulting in one store with a slingshot rigged to the famous golden arches. Check out the video campaign ad below.
I’m not saying there was ever a time before Angry Birds — that would be blasphemous — but if there was, I wish it had existed circa my middle school years. I could have started a cafeteria food fight and called it inspired advertising.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor