Here’s How to Make Drunken Crispy Beer-Roasted Duck
This recipe has the potential to show up the main centerpiece for Thanksgiving dinner. Yes, that means your cherished turkey should be shaking next to his trimmings this year, as the Drunken Crispy Beer-Roasted Duck has arrived.
The recipe comes from Chef Ian Knauer and the team at TakePart, the peeps devoted to supporting local businesses that are committed to bringing local, sustainable and organic food to their communities.
Just look at that beauty (above) smothered in hot IPA brew, then stuffed with orange, thyme, rosemary and sage. The aroma of the herbs infused into the fat of the duck and mingled with the hoppy smell of the IPA is a deluxe combination and makes for a very sumptuous Thanksgiving.
- 1 (6-lb) duck
- 1 small orange, quartered
- 5 or 6 thyme sprigs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 sage sprig
- 2 cups boiling Smoked IPA
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
2. If necessary, cut off wing tips with poultry shears or a sharp knife. Remove and discard excess fat from body cavity and neck, then rinse duck inside and out. Season cavity with salt and pepper, then fill cavity with orange, thyme, rosemary, and sage. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Fold neck skin under body, then put duck, breast side up, on a rack in a 13- by 9- by 3-inch roasting pan and pour hot beer over duck (to tighten skin). Pour out any beer from cavity into pan. Pat duck dry inside and out, reserving water in pan, then rub duck inside and out with kosher salt and pepper.
3. Roast duck, breast side up, 45 minutes, then remove from oven. Turn duck over and roast 45 minutes more. Turn duck over again (breast side up), tilting duck to drain any liquid from cavity into pan. Continue to roast duck until skin is brown and crisp, about 45 minutes more (total roasting time: about 2¼ hours). Tilt duck to drain any more liquid from cavity into pan. Transfer duck to a cutting board and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor