The Obama Butter Bust, In Case You Missed It
Is it just me, or is there something weirdly ominous about a presidential butter sculpture entitled “The Harvest” getting wheeled around Chicago during the “Frankenstorm”?
Conspiracy theories aside, the BBB (‘Bama Butter Bust) has been in the works since 2008 and is meant to represent “his historical significance and the way his presidency has been seen in America—what it may have changed about America or failed to change.”
Which, all things considered, still sounds a little too dark and cryptic for my taste. In fact the bust, which the sculptors say they hope will spark a discussion from onlookers, in many ways raises more questions than it answers.
Wait, so you’re saying our 44th president is an unsalted fermented cream product used on toast? Why is it called “The Harvest”? Why in the world isn’t he wearing a tie?
For those looking to solve a few of these mysteries for themselves, the bust will be on display at the group’s ongoing exhibit “Sic Transit Gloria Mundi: Industry of the Ordinary” at the Chicago Cultural Center until February 17.
Good luck trying to figure it out though. Ominous title aside, I for one think the BBB is just plain creepy looking — mystical dairy voodoo be damned.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor