Despite Gay Marriage Controversy, Chick-fil-A Benefiting From Backlash
So, you know how earlier this summer Chick-fil-A made public its stance against gay marriage? If you don’t remember that, you might remember unwittingly visiting your local Chick-fil-A in August, only to see lines out the door and around the building as supporters of the chicken chain came to show their appreciation…and to also get some lunch.
Chick-fil-A, already famous (or infamous) for closing up nationally on Sundays, faced backlash from more than just gay marriage supporters, as a national fallout was predicted from the polarizing decision. And yet as the year winds down, Chick-fil-A appears to have come out on top.
According to Business Insider, consumer use, market share, and ad awareness have all seen notable increases since the initial controversy, indicating Chick-fil-A hasn’t suffered, but in fact benefited from its otherwise controversial stance.
Stats from the study by research firm Sandelman & Associates:
- Consumer use was up 2.2 % in Q3 compared to the year prior
- Market share up 0.6 %
- Total ad awareness up 6.5 %
Think Chick-fil-A’s lucky streak will last? And, perhaps more importantly, will it spur other companies to kick up a little dust in favor of increased income?
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor