So There’s a Butter Movie Starring Jennifer Garner, Olivia Wilde, Hugh Jackman and — I Mean What?
For a R-rated flick featuring Jennifer Garner, Ashley Greene, Alicia Silverstone, Olivia Wilde and possibly the best tasting kitchen-based lubricant imaginable, Jim Field Smith’s “Butter” seems almost disappointingly straight-laced. No, it’s not a porno, and from the trailer, it doesn’t look like any of the female leads get to make out, but what the year-old film does promise is a dark comedy with an all-star cast exploring the slimy underbelly of the competitive butter sculpting community.
Now there’s a sentence I imagined writing exactly never.
In lieu of raunchy baking escapades, “Butter” tells the story of small-town politician Laura Pickler (Garner) combating an unfaithful husband (Ty Burrell), a homewrecking stripper (Wilde) and the efforts of a young African American orphan girl (Yara Shahidi) determined to steal away her competitive butter sculpting crown. Yes, really.
We also get Jackman as a pudgy used car salesman and a butter-based Last Supper, Schindler’s List and Harriet Tubman.
Boiled down, “Butter,” like its namesake, is probably not the greatest thing to put in your cinematic system. Rob Corddry, who plays Shahidi’s adopted father, says it best:
“You people are ridiculous. It’s butter, you put it on toast. Oh, and news flash! It’s bad for you.”
Which we all already know. But it just tastes so, so good.
“Butter” opens in limited release in October.
Watch the trailer (and a bonus shot of Olivia Wilde giving a lapdance), here:
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor