In-N-Out’s Failed Singapore Pop-Up Stand Proves Why The Fast Food Godsend Should Stay West Coast Only
There are few things I take real pride in about being a Californian. After all, the East Coast dresses better. The East Coast looks cooler in pictures. The East Coast gets everything three hours before we do. But if there is one thing I will stick out my LA-born, half-exposed, pseudo-vegan, fake-dieting bum to defend, it is my singular right to a Protein-Style burger with Animal Fries.
Which is why experiments like this failed Singaporean In-N-Out pop-up stand should remain just that. Experiments. Or cautionary signposts along the road of failed dreams.
Originally scheduled to be open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. yesterday afternoon, In-N-Out’s latest foreign pop-up stand purportedly had to “shut down” after only five minutes because it sold out of burger patties, and had in fact already run out of its 300 giveaway wristbands (which entitled customers to one burger each) by 9:30 a.m., a whole hour and a half before the stand’s official opening.
A small, family-owned business, In-N-Out has met similar failures with other foreign pop-up stands in the past, justifying the FAQs on the company’s Facebook page. “We don’t have any immediate plans to start construction anywhere else at this time. Some places are just out of our range. To guarantee freshness, we deliver our patties, buns, and produce to the restaurant via our own delivery trucks. In order for our trucks to make deliveries and still maintain our standard of freshness, we simply can’t consider building a restaurant if the area is too far away.”
Well, at least 300 lucky, meat-fiending Singaporeans got to enjoy their time in the sun while it lasted. Personally, I think I’ll take my In-N-Out to go.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor