No More Poison Spider-Pizzas for Swiss Restaurant
If you’ve been trying to figure out the best, most painless way to get some arachnid-based superpowers for yourself, you can now safely rule out “pizza toppings” as an option. Experimental chef Ismail Ertekin’s latest creation, a pie topped with the venoms of spiders, scorpions and snakes, has now officially been banned from sale by Swiss health officials.
According to Gawker, the Zurich-based chef “crossed the line” by adding “medicinal products” to his food.
Extracted from homeopathic remedies, Ertekin’s ingredients might actually not be as deathly toxic as they sound. “Preservatives in foods are much more damaging than my poison pizzas,” Ertekin explained—a fair claim, considering additives as dull-sounding as sodium nitrate have been linked to causing colon cancer.
Ertekin made a similar claim a few months ago regarding the health benefits of his pizzas topped with edible 24 karat gold. “Gold is one of the oldest medical treatments in the history of mankind. Gold can really help the immune system,” he said. He also argued that his newest poison pies were quite popular with customers, who would use them to get over phobias of the creepy-crawlies.
Despite the ban, there have been no reports thus far of the pizza’s dangerous side-effects nor of masked vigilantes swinging through Europe. Guess the world’s would-be superheroes will just have to continue wishing they were at Comic-Con and sneaking into top-secret labs.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor