There is Now Scientific Research Proving Milk is Better on Cereal Than Water
I’m no scientist, but apparently there is new scientific evidence that shows why milk is better on cereal than water.
In non-science speak, milk does significantly more taste and structural accenting to the flakes than water.
I personally find the idea of pouring water onto my breakfast cereal extremely revolting. But who am I to dictate what people do with their Corn Flakes? I remember a my four year old cousin who casually poured fresh orange juice over her chocolate puff cereal. I was thrown for a loop, but she had grown up with it, and no longer thought twice about it.
When approaching milk vs. water though, there is scientific proof, put out by a group of researchers out of the Department of Chemical and Bioprocesses Engineering at a Chilean University, that milk is better on your cereal than water.
The new report observes the physical properties of individual corn and quinoa breakfast flakes, and how they are subsequently affected when bathed in either milk or water. The result, in much more words, is that milk’s (2%) fat and other solids become deposited on the flakes’ surface, hindering “liquid infiltration.”
Water was described as having a “plasticizing effect that softened the carbohydrate/protein matrix, inducing partial collapse of the porous structure and eventually disintegration of the whole piece through deep cracks.”
So while you may have the freedom to enjoy cereal drenched in water, there is no scientific proof that you are consuming a chemically inferior product. Their words, not ours.
But seriously, water on your cereal? Gross…
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor