Wafflecakes, the Accidental Fusion of Waffles and Pancakes
Pancakes are wonderful. As are waffles. Many a person has drawn a line in the sand, opting for one or the other, but today, through the joyful serendipitous kitchen blunder of an over-the-top food blogger, we’re privvy to the Earth’s latest bastard child: Wafflecakes.
Wafflecakes solve a great deal of #firstworldproblems that go along with eating dessert for breakfast.
First off, have you tried to butter waffles evenly? It’s hard! The tiny square pockets are a sea of thirsty mouths, and chances are your initial spread will send most of your butter into just one or two of the squares, leaving the other 40 squares dry and butter-less.
As for pancakes, the number one gripe I hear about anyone who may dislike those circles of goodness, is that the texture (or lackthereof) grosses them out. It’s either too doughy, not crispy enough, or they “simply look funny.” Wafflecakes seems to solve this, giving a slight grooved texture to the cakes, not as deep as waffles, but not flat and plain enough to be confused with a pancake.
How were these created? Our food blogging friend Nick was prepping for his Chicken & Waffle Cone, threw some batter in his waffle maker, but hadn’t pressed down on the machine hard enough to give the waffles a proper shape.
The result of the top of the waffle maker only slightly grazing the batter? Wafflecakes.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor