Goodbye King Size — Snickers Maker to Eliminate Any Chocolate Product Over 250 Calories
Mars Inc. has announced that none of its chocolate products will exceed 250 calories by the end of 2013, in an attempt to become more health conscious.
The announced change also means the demise of the popular “King Size” chocolates which currently are 540 calories. The “King Size” bars will be replaced with a bag of two-to-four “Fun Size” portions. The thinking behind the “Fun Size” change is that it will make the chocolate bars easier to share, or save for later.
Mars said it is trying to sell its products more responsibly and plans to also reduce the sodium in all of its products by 2015.
This is not Mars’ first attempt at supporting healthier choices as in 2007 it announced that it would not advertise its products toward children under the age of 12. It doesn’t stop with advertising, as when downloading wallpapers or screensavers from its site, one is required to enter their birth date.
When it comes to health, Mars states on its site, “We realize that the relationships between diet, nutrition, personal health and public health are complex, that is why we are investing in a variety of partnerships… to boost understanding of these relationships and ensure Mars plays a positive role.”
Mars Inc. is behind several popular food products including Uncle Ben’s rice, Wrigley’s gum and Dove ice cream bars. It is also the maker of Pedigree and Whiskas brand pet food.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor