Are Big Macs Cheaper Than Salads?
An article posted by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine states that according to the Farm Bill, government funding favors the production of meat and dairy products over fruits and vegetables.
The current bill, which was passed in 2008, controls what’s fed to children in schools and decides what food assistance programs can give to recipients, and subsidizes billions of dollars to businesses that produce feed crops that are fed to animals. By subsidizing these businesses, it also directly funds the production of meat and dairy products, which the government buys in surplus for school lunches. With less than 1 percent of government funding given to fruit and vegetable farmers, their article suggests that a salad costs more than a Big Mac.
Below is a side-by-side comparison courtesy of the PCRM of why it’s more cost efficient to buy a Big Mac over a salad. However, the graph doesn’t necessarily represent salads (or other healthier options) outside of government subsidized meal plans.
While ordering a Big Mac could technically be cheaper than a government-assisted meal, what does it mean for budget shoppers who hunt their own deals for groceries? Although it shows that fruits and vegetables receive the least of government funding, there are always alternative options in meeting the federal nutrition recommendations. Unless there’s hard evidence that proves that a McDonald’s classic costs less than a salad overall, we’re gonna remain skeptical on this one.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor