This is How TLC Dealt With the Suicide of a Next Great Baker Contestant
Sgt. Wesley Durden died in late October from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot. TLC did not announce his death until he was kicked off the show. His elimination happened on the fourth episode on the show, which aired on Monday night.
Durden’s death was announced with an “In Memoriam” that ran after the episode. It did not say anything about the cause of death. According to Eater, it also has a promo for another TLC show that displayed over it.
Some fans are upset with how it was revealed, while others think the channel handled the situation appropriately. When it comes to competition-based reality shows, there’s very particular ways you have to keep secrets…and in the case of a tragic death such as this one, there are even more producing technicalities to consider.
What do you think TLC should have done?
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor