Soul Kitchen — A ‘Pay What You Can’ Style Restaurant
American rock & roll singer and songwriter, Jon Bon Jovi, along with his charity group, The Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation, has recently opened a special community restaurant in the town of Red Bank, New Jersey. The restaurant seats 25 guests and will be serving healthy, home-cooked style American dishes. Known as the Soul Kitchen, they have no menu prices and allows patrons to pay what they can afford.
Guests who can afford their meal can leave a donation of $10 or more at their table. However, for those who are struggling to make ends meet and cannot afford the donation, they can volunteer their services at the restaurant by waiting tables, washing pots and dishes, or doing other chores.
One of Soul Kitchen’s goals is to bridge the gap between soup kitchens and regular restaurants by creating a friendly, communal vibe that is open for everybody. Because the restaurant only has a paid staff of three (2 chefs and 1 bus person), they gladly welcome guests who are willing to volunteer in any way possible.
Soul Kitchen is only a week old, and is open for dinner from 5-7pm on Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays. Reservations are highly recommended for parties of 6 or more, and can be made by calling (732) 842-0900.
“Come and eat and spread the word,” Bon Jovi said. “Come be a part of the change you want to see.”
For more information, check out the restaurant’s website here.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor