The Manwich – Grilled Mac & Cheese w/ Pulled Pork Sandwich
Brunch is for Mother’s Day. Manwiches are for Father’s Day. Bypass the golf balls and the pastel Tommy Bahama shirts, and make something that your Dad will actually use – because he will eat every last morsel.
The thousands of fathers that will now get an awesome meal out of this recipe — thank Pass The Sushi.
Mac & Cheese. Check. Pulled Pork. Check. AND IT HAS BACON?! And we just got word it’s calorie free! (Full Disclosure: Contains many calories).
- 1 stick unsalted butter; softened
- 6 tbs mayo
- 4 cups prepared macaroni and cheese, warmed
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups prepared pulled pork
- 8 slices buttermilk or white bread
- 12 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Bacon to taste
Put 6 tbs butter and the mayo in the bowl of a stand mixer; beat with the paddle attachment until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Set aside.
Spread the macaroni and cheese in an 8-inch-square baking dish to abut 3/4 inch thick. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 45 minutes. Cut the macaroni and cheese into squares that are slightly smaller then the bread slices.
Meanwhile, melt the remaining 2 tbs butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Combine the barbecue sauce and pulled pork in a saucepan over low heat and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
Generously spread the butter-mayo mix on one side of each bread slice. Slip over half of the bread slices; layer 1 slice of cheddar, 1 macaroni-and-cheese square and another slice of cheddar on each. Top each with one-quarter of the pulled pork and caramelized onions and another slice of cheddar. Top with the remaining bread slice, butter-side up.
Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Working in batches, cook the sandwich until the cheese melts and the bread is golden, about 5 minutes per side.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK
- Elie AyrouthPublisher
- Geoff KutnickContent Director
- Rudy ChaneyProduct Development Director
- Charisma MadarangAssociate Editor
- Dominique ZamoraStaff Writer
- Brian YamamotoContributor
- Peter PhamContributor
- Patrick KhensovanContributor
- Kiera Wright-RuizContributor
- Isai RochaContributor
- Danielle MooradianContributor
- Cris WilcoxonContributor
- Aziza-Mistral SullivanContributor
- Dominique BoubionContributor
- Emily VillanuevaContributor
- Joey NargizianContributor
- Maziar AziziContributor
- Jennifer LaiContributor
- The Glut LifeRecipe Contributor
- Becky McKayRecipe Contributor
- Katerina PetrovskaRecipe Contributor
- Natalie PurcelRecipe Contributor