Amy’s Baking Company Episode V: The Psycho Employee Contract
By now, this photo has probably been scorched into your memory thanks to the never-ending train wreck that is Amy’s Baking Company. Unsurprisingly, Amy and Samy Bouzaglo — the infamous couple behind the Kitchen Nightmares fiasco – are back in the media spotlight, this time for allegedly requiring employees to sign a legally binding contract featuring a plethora of unreasonable terms.
The document was obtained by RadarOnline and includes a non-complete clause stating that employees “shall not work for any competitor within a 50 mile radius of ABC within one year of termination or voluntary resignation.” The contract further outlines that any hint of attitude will get you canned (no poisonous little vipers here!) and failing to show up to work on holidays will earn you a $250 penalty.
While we doubt the legality and ability for Amy’s Baking Co. to actually enforce these “rules,” the desperate publicity stunt/glorious hotmess is amusing at best. You can check out the full, 20-term contract here. Read our personal picks of the litter and comments (italicized) below:
- No Cell Phones allowed while working. Wot! No Snapchat?!!
- Any type of attitude will result in immediate termination. Here’s looking at you, Katy.
- No purses or bags are allowed inside ABC, (exceptions may be made) however upon leaving a designated employee of ABC has the legal right and consent to inspect any and all packages that you may have brought with you. TSA up in this b*tch!
- No visiting or unnecessary talking is allowed during your work shift. This causes distractions and results in loss of product. Any may result in possible harm to you, or to others. Sorry, mom!
- Holidays and Weekends are Mandatory, by signing this contract you are accepting that you will be required to work all Holidays, and Weekends. Due to the nature of our Industry this is a necessity and any No-Show will be monetarily penalized with a fee of $250.00. Santa does not approve.
- The recipes and techniques that have been developed by Amy at ABC are exclusive and shall remain confidential. Any removal of recipes will be considered theft. Because everybody’s dying to know what goes into their signature frozen ravioli.
- The wait staff understands that any and all “tips” are property of the “house.” By signing this contract, you agree that you willingly accept a payment of $8.00 to $12.00 per hour to ensure that you will receive some type of payment. Due to the volatile nature of any retail business we are unable to predict when we will have buissness.By signing this contact you agree that you are willfully accepting a payment of $___ per hour instead of tips. If the contract is up to date (which Eater points out it might not be), this particular term contradicts Samy’s previous statement that worker’s earn $5 an hour + tip.
- It takes a great deal of time, energy and patience on the part of Samy & Amy (the owners) to train and teach our employees. We are investing in you as a new employee, and we are paying you to teach you. By signing this contract you are hereby accepting that you will be employed exclusively by ABC Amy’s Baking Co. LLC. And shall not work for any competitor within a 50 mile radius of ABC within one year of temination or voluntary Resignation, without prior authorization from ABC. Amy’s Baking Co LLC. Nor shall you be allowed to open your own business of the same type, within the above mentioned radius. Don’t even think about opening an Amy’s Baking Company Part Deux.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK