Cocoa-Kissed Red Velvet Pancakes
It’s our job not to let Valentine’s Day sneak up on you (it’s next month). Since we have no control over slowing down time, or getting you a hot date, all we can do is provide you with recipes in case anyone special DOES come over (or in this case, spends the night). The folks at Nestle have conjured up a nice little red velvet pancake recipe.
These Cocoa-Kissed Red Velvet Pancakes can be made in around 20 minutes, and the below recipe will set you up with 10 pancakes. Either find yourself a partner to eat these with, or have yourself the most filling solo breakfast you’ve of your life:
- Preparation Time: 10 mins
- Cooking Time: 5 mins
- Cooling Time: 5 mins standing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup reduced-fat buttermilk or lowfat milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- Heart-shaped pancake cutters or cookie cutters (optional)
- Optional garnishes: butter, powdered sugar, maple syrup and fresh berries
WHISK egg, buttermilk, butter, vanilla extract and food coloring together in large bowl. Add to flour mixture; stir to combine. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes (this produces more tender pancakes).
HEAT nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Brush with a little oil or butter. Add about ¼ cup batter to skillet. Cook for about 2 minutes or until bubbles start to form on top. Flip and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Serve immediately with butter, powdered sugar, syrup and berries.
Cook’s Tip: If using pancake or cookie cutters, be sure to coat with a little oil so the pancakes don’t stick. Place cutters in skillet and pour batter into cutters. Remove cutters before flipping.
TOP STORIES THIS WEEK